Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Memorial Day 2010

Memorial Day weekend we loaded up and went to Boise for a couple days. Not only was it Memorial Day (so I could go visit my Brother's Grave), but it was also my Mom's birthday!!! I was soooo excited to go down and be there for my Mom on her Birthday. To be honest, we really didn't take any pictures because we just hung out and had a great time together. We celebrated my Mom's birthday by playing Family Feud, eating cake and having a great time together. We celebrated Memorial Day by going to the cemetery to visit Greg and my cousin Michael's grave's. It was a wonderful visit!! I am sooo happy I went. The only problem is that it is ALWAYS sooooo short!!! There are so many things I wanted to do before coming home and a lot of them didn't work out!!!

Anyhow....here are some pics from our visit to the cemetery

Heather and the kids (minus their son Jake)
My kiddos

Grandma Yearsley and the grand kids (minus Jake again)

Trinitee smelling her Daddy's flowers. What a cutie!!!

I always say I don't like the circumstances, but if my Brother has to have a grave/headstone I think this one is VERY nice!!!!

Aspynn paying her respects (she really misses Uncle Greg, every time we are headed into town she asks if Uncle Greg will be there "this time"
Trinitee paying her respects

Saige paying her respects

Tristynn paying her respects

Kiara paying her respects

Kaden paying his respects

We all had a great time going to the cemetery together

This is my cousin Michael's grave. His story is sooooo sad!!! When he was a baby he drowned in the bathtub when he was 1 year old. He has TONS of family that live right there in town to go see him and take him flowers but NO ONE goes to see him. It is soooo sad. His mother, tons of siblings, Aunt, Uncle, Cousins, etc. all live right there. So.....every year for Memorial Day we go see him, clean his grave and leave some flowers. I feel soooo sad for him!!! It is nice to go up and visit his grave each year and show him that someone cares!!! One funny thing.....Greg ALWAYS loved to go visit Michael's grave!! It was always something he looked forward to. Now, we visit them together (I can't tell you how sad that statement is to me) and I think if Greg got to choose he would smile knowing that because of his death Michael will NEVER be forgotten!!!

While we were visiting Michael in the Baby Section of the cemetery we saw a lot of headstones that didn't have any flowers on them so....we took some of the individual carnations we had for Michael and let the kids distribute them onto some of the graves. The kids were soooo excited!! They walked around reading the kids names and trying to figure out how old they were when they died. I think it was a great activity for them!!!

HAPPY MEMORIAL DAY EVERYONE!!!

2 comments:

Montana Wilkins said...

What a meaningful thing to do with your family. I especially love that you had the kids share the flowers in the baby section. How sweet. The pictures are beautiful! Isn't it strange in a way that cemeteries can be so pretty? Glad you had a good trip!

Grandma Yearsley said...

WOW..I didn't expect to find any updated pictures, boy was I surprised. Thanks for taking pictures, it is amazing to think it had rained all day and turned out to be so nice. You are so right about Greg, he always remembered Michael on memorial day.
The kids paying their respects are so reverent...great pics Kim!!