Sunday, June 28, 2009

Saige's Kindergarten Shots

May 29th I took Saige in to the Doctor to get her Kindergarten check up. I was babysitting for a friend so I had a few extra kids, but she was soooooo excited!! She was more brave than I have ever seen any of my kids be going in to a check up that included shots. She just kept telling me that she wanted to do whatever she needed to to go to Kindergarten. She did everything the doctor ask her to. She hoped on one foot, she jumped, she took her seeing test and her hearing test, she peed in a cup, and did everything with a smile on her face. Then the nurse told her that she needed to poke her finger so she could see how Saige's iron count was doing and she even put a brave face on for that. The nurse poked her finger and Saige told her, "that didn't even hurt" and she said it with a big smile on her face. After that they brought the tray in with the shots on it. Now, this was kind of funny because Aspynn was BEGGING the nurse to give her the shots so she could go to Kindergarten (she honestly believed the only thing standing in her way of going to school was those silly shots), and Saige was looking a little scared but put a brave face on and said, "I can do it because I am brave". So she pulled up her pants and let the nurse give her the 3 shots.
A few days later I got a call from my friend I had babysat for telling me that her son had picked up strep from someone and I may want to get my kids tested so I decided to go ahead and make the appt. When I was explaining to the kids that we were going to go see the Doctor Saige got an excited expression on her face and ask, "Do you think she will look at my leg?" I ask her what was wrong with her leg and she pulled down her pants and showed me her leg. There was a HUGE red, swollen, hot circle around where she had gotten her shots. I couldn't believe it. I told her yes that we would show the Doctor and gave her some Motrin to make it feel better. A few hours later we went to see the Doctor. Well...poor Saige tested positive for strep and they had to measure the sore on her leg to see if it was large enough to cause concern. Funny enough it was 2cm shy of being of concern so they told me to continue giving her Motrin and let them know if anything changed.
Here are some of the pics of her leg a day or two after we went to see the Doctor. You can't see it very well, but it was pretty bad!!!


2 comments:

Joleen said...

That is scary!!!
Gracie got a strep infection in her thigh from a shot when she was about 2 months old. She spent a week in a medically induced coma, on a ventalator in the PICU, and another 3 days on the peds wing. It was NOT fun!!!!
And guess what the shot was for...RSV. We were getting the shots to keep the twins OUT of the hospital...and that is exactly where we ended up!

Montana Wilkins said...

So sorry to hear about the results of the shot, but how wonderful as a mommy to experience a brave child! That's adorable! Samantha bent the needle when she jerked away from the nurse giving her a shot and then she had a big bruise for days. Generally my kids do okay, but my favorite thing that nurses do when they give shots is to "double team" when more than one shot is required. Two nurses for two legs! It makes it go quicker and easier for all involved.
I also love that you took a picture of Saige's leg! Someday she's gonna say, "MOTHER! I can't believer you posted a picture of my pants pulled down! How embarrassing!" But that's just what we mommies do. We gotta record everything! :o)