Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Aug 2nd ~ Bike Ride To Big Springs

August 2nd was our day to ride our bikes to Big Springs. We were really excited about this because the kids LOVE to ride their bikes (and we already did the Hiawatha this year so we knew it wouldn't be a problem for them). The ride is about 3 miles each direction on a dirt road. The best part is when you get to Big Springs there are some huge fish the kids can feed and look at. There are also a lot of seagulls and ducks there. The kiddos LOVE the place!!!


Playing games waiting for the adults to get ready.....
Aspynn kept everyone busy playing UNO. She LOVES the game!!!

Still waiting for the adults to get the bikes ready and a picnic lunch....

Then all the grandkids wanted to help Grandma put on her suntan lotion. Here they are lathering Grandma up with sunscreen.


Then it was Grandpa's turn....

Getting ready to head out....
There were 7 bikers and 2 kiddos on trail-a-bikes and 1 kiddo in the trailer....we were really out to have some fun!!!

Kaden (before getting to the dirt road)

Saige, Jake, Aspynn and I enjoying the ride...

Saige and I (the gravel started to get really bad, as you can see Saige's tire sunken down into the gravel....it was really hard for the kids)
It was shortly after this pic of Saige and I was taken that Kaden took a pretty bad spill. I didn't know how bad at the time because when I squirted some ice cold water on it the bleeding stopped so I didn't think much more about it.....
Then when we got to Big Springs for lunch, Kaden asked me to look at his knee because it was hurting really bad, so I did (thinking he was FINE). When I took a close look I could see that there was a bunch of gravel stuck in a deep cut. I knew I needed to get him back to the condo and get his knee soaking to hopefully get the gravel out before it healed over. Needless to say...I felt HORRIBLE. I had just been preaching to Kaden about how even when we are hurt we finish what we start blah blah blah.....now here I was telling him that I didn't pay enough attention to notice that I should have taken him back right after it happened rather than make him finish the ride and then realize how bad it was.
Anyhow.....
Here are the rest of the kids waiting on their lunch...

Jake, Aspynn and Saige on the ride home (they decided to go the road on the way home rather than the gravel road because it was just too scary for the kids)

Kaden and Clayton playing Ironman war

Saige and Aspynn playing UNO
All in All it was a pretty good day. I feel sad that Kaden got hurt so bad, but I guess that is part of growing up. I guess I learned a lesson to PAY BETTER ATTENTION!!!

3 comments:

Grandma Yearsley said...

Looks like fun and Kaden healed just fine. These are times the kids will all remember!

Grandma Yearsley said...

One more thing....these kids are becoming quite the card players! You better watch out~!

Grandma Yearsley said...
This comment has been removed by the author.